Open Doors Emerald Hill
Open Doors Emerald Hill brings together visual arts, music, dance, literature, disability arts culture, heritage architecture and Indigenous culture and performance in a one-day free event that’s accessible to all.
Coinciding with Open House Melbourne 2019, Open Doors Emerald Hill will take place over one action-packed day on Saturday 27 July from 10 am until 8 pm.
The venues and arts and cultural organisations participating in Open Doors Emerald Hill are:
- South Melbourne Town Hall / Australian National Academy of Music
- Australian Tapestry Workshop
- Emerald Hill Library and Heritage Centre
- Temperance Hall / Phillip Adams BalletLab
- Melbourne Camera Club
- MacKillop Family Services
- Arts Access Victoria
Sitting atop Emerald Hill, the South Melbourne Town Hall will be the focal point of Open Doors Emerald Hill, culminating in an Indigenous smoking ceremony, music and dance performance in the forecourt area in front of Town Hall, followed by a display of window projections from the Arts Access Victoria building.
- 10 am to 5 pm - self-guided tours
- 1 to 4 pm - Box City kids' play activity by Green Hat Workshop greenhatworkshop.com
- 2 to 5 pm - live performances by Australian National Academy of Music
- 4.15 to 5.45 pm - Indigenous culture program in front of the Town Hall.
Art Access Victoria (AAV)
- 11 am to 3 pm - artistic building paste-ups (disability-led art project)
- 11 am to 4 pm - placemaking stories with AAV Writer-in-Residence
- 6 to 8 pm - window projections
Audio Description Tours
- 3.30 to 4 pm - building paste-ups.
- 4.30 to 5.30 pm - Indigenous welcome to country and smoking ceremony
- 6 to 6.30 pm - window projections.
- 10 am to 5 pm - self-guided trail tours, Park Towers photo exhibition, Monument with a View
- 12 to 1 pm - Around the Hill guided walking tour
- 1 to 1.45 pm - Vossanova jazz choir performance
- 3 to 4 pm - library storytime for a special story celebrating wonderful buildings and places across Melbourne and beyond! The session is suitable for preschool aged kids and their families, with plenty of songs and stories to share.
Emerald Hill Cafe
2 to 3 pm - AAV afternoon tea.
- 10 am to 5 pm - self-guided tours, gallery exhibitions, kids' drop-in weaving activities, watch weavers at work, and shop the Makers' Market
- 10.30 am, 11.30 am, 1.30 pm and 2.30 pm - free 30-minute guided tours
- 3 to 5 pm - live music performed by ANAM musicians.
10.30 am to 3.30 pm - free 30-minute guided tours of the building, departing every minutes. See a heritage display of photos, case notes, toys, cots and beds, plus audio visual historical information from the building's time as an orphanage.
10 am to 4.30 pm - self-guided tours, exhibition of prints from the Club's 70 years of archives, kids' drop-in workshops, and create and print an image to take home.
Partner restaurants and cafe offers:
Park Street Pasta & Wine, 268 Park Street, South Melbourne. Tel #: 03 9042 8871
Offer: $2 Oysters & $10 Aperol Spritz & Prosecco from 3- 6pm
Emerald Hill Cafe, 189 Bank Street, South Melbourne. Tel #: 03 9690 2515
Offer: Afternoon tea from 2pm to 3pm
James, 323 Clarendon Street, South Melbourne. Tel #: 03 9690 9285
Offer: $15 Bubbles and Bao
Event program and map. Select image to enlarge.